20.3.08

Easter Update

Hi to all! This week has been ranging from really busy, to really slow. I haven't had the time to do anymore surfing, maybe next week again. I had "heaps" of homework. Heaps is the local word to express "a lot", it can also be used for "very much" by making it "heaps and heaps" and for very very much, the correct sentence would be "heaps and heaps and heaps". Etc. So I spend most of the previous weekend on assignments that were due on Monday and Wednesday.

On Monday I had my architecture course again, it is still a lot of fun. We started out drawing an animals movement on A2 and I am making a frog. Jumping. This week we had to try and capture that movement in 3 dimensions using wires. I think it turned out pretty well, it is only too bad that I do not (yet) have any good pictures of the stuff I am doing here. For next week we will have to get the movement into a 3D solid model. Only after that we might need to turn into anything that anything to do with architecture.

On Tuesday I went to the Maya animation course. This one is going pretty fast, and I am going to have to put in some extra time to get better at Maya. The course is only 3 hrs and not so much homework but it is racing through all Maya's applications, so I will have to do a little extra practice. I am also making a scenario for my short movie. Not yet really sure what it is going to be a about.

On Wednesday my first assignment for the Human Environment was due. It was a small ergonomics project which I did on record store displays. Because I wanted to drop this subject and had not put in much effort before, so that meant heaps of work in the weekend and on Tuesday. But I think it turned out pretty well.

After handing in the project I went to a journalism masterclass by two Dutch reporters: Robert Knoth and Antoinette de Jong. They did some very impressive photography and interviewing on a few nuclear disaster areas in Russia. The work was very impressive, but the motivation was a bit strange. They presented themselves as objective reporters, but their work carries a huge anti-nuclear bias and was paid for by Greenpeace. For journalists they did not seem very objective, and I found that odd. As artists they were very good.
Next I went to take a look at a exhibition in the library of 10 UTS Architecture students. This was cool, but the exposition a bit short. So I walked along Circular Quay to the Museum of Contemporary Art. The MCA was hosting a very nice exhibition of Fiona Hall 's work. She has been exploring the intersection between nature and culture for the past 4 decades and uses a wide variety of media. Very nice. The top floor of the museum hosted an Aboriginal Bark Painting expostion, showing the Arnott's (see TimTams) Collection. Bark Paintings are drawings made on pieces of bark, depicting all kinds of Aboriginal themes, such as kangaroos. I am not really into this, but if you like kangaroos: check 'm out.


As you might gather from the story above I have been doing a lot of walking, during which I tried to take pictures of the biggest and ugliest buildings I could find. These pictures are now on Flickr and you can check m out by clicking here. To finish this very culturally productive day I went to have s few beers at the Abercrombie Hotel. The bar smelled almost as bad as Wolbodo at home, and they were have a small art exhibition where the hotel used to be. Nice.

As the story I already very long, I will not bother much longer. But, should you be in Holland and if you happen to be going to Motel Mozaique (11 april?), go and see Pivot. I saw them yesterday at the Oxford Art Factory and it was good.

Today I have been relaxing. It is a bit quiet now, as most of my housemates have gone to their parents for easter. So, I am not really sure what I am going to do now. Bye!

Geen opmerkingen: