11.2.08

Sydney update: UTS and Living

Yesterday was the introduction to the university at UTS. In a series of long talks we were welcomed about 1000 times and explained the does and don't of university life. Most seemed more suitable for first year students but all in all it was okay. I now know where to get a student pass (discount on the publictransport and zoo: nice!), I know where the library and psyciatric help can be found (both seemed equally important at UTS) and that if someone asks you for coffee, they might not mean "just" coffee. Hmm.

I also met some other Dutch people in Sydney as well as some other foreigners, which is nice. Below, a picture of the UTS main tower, voted last year to be Sydneys most ugly building. My faculty is to the right of it and connected by a footbridge. So this is where I will be studying.




Today has been a slow day. I am trying to find a house, which is difficult as there are not many of them. It seems rather expensive and also far away. You pay per week and it starts at 120 to 150 dollar a week. In my hostel I pay 120 a week and that includes breakfast, wifi and free (powdered) coffee all day. But then, I have 9 other people sleeping in the same room.

Living in a hostel is a bit strange. It is always very busy and you seem to have a few distinct groups of people here. I have been thinking on this and now I can divide them in 3 main species. Those with work: they either sleep or work and do nothing else (mostly from France and Germany). Those without work: they complain about not having work, do nothing all day and go drinking heavilly at night (mostly from England or Sweden). The third group are the Surfers. They are either out surfing or in front of the TV. These are most mysterious as I do not hear them talking and they seem to eat very little (only warm up noodles). I have yet to discover how they communicate and where they are from.

This afternoon I wanted to go the Bondi beach which seemed to be going really well, but just as I set foot on the sand the first drops of rain started falling. It seems to rain a lot here in Sydney, which is not common for this time of year. Next time I will have check with the weathergods before going outside. I just managed to take a picture before the weather went really bad. So, here it is.



See you next time!

Geen opmerkingen: